Primary Health Nurse
(Primary Care/Community Health Agency)
Temporary positions (May 2018 to August 2019) Various EFTs (Maternity leave of absence terms which may expire sooner than indicated, subject to minimum notice of two weeks)
Starting date: TBD
A career at Centre de santé Saint-Boniface provides excellent professional development opportunities in a welcoming francophone environment that promotes self-reliance, creativity and innovation. Centre de santé offers primary health care services in both official languages to the French-speaking population of Winnipeg and to the residents of St. Boniface.
Working under the general supervision of the Programs and Operations Manager and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, the person is responsible for providing professional integrated primary care services with a focus on health promotion and disease and injury prevention.
- Operate independently.
- Foster health promotion through education, support and referrals.
- Provide specific services that are beyond the scope of nursing practice, in accordance with policies governing the delegation of duties.
- Engage clients and encourage them to participate in individual or group primary and secondary prevention and self-care activities.
- Use health promotion and education strategies to support behavioural changes that improve health.
Clinical Triage, Assessment and Intervention
- Provide telephone triage and personal services by identifying urgent and non-urgent cases, and providing appropriate services or referrals to other resources.
- Follow guidelines and recognized best practices in screening, monitoring and performing nurse assessments of client’s physical and emotional condition.
- Conduct a thorough assessment of clients, and establish comprehensive health histories for them. Perform a physical examination, and gather other information needed to develop the health care plan.
- Utilize nursing processes, such as assessing client status, performing analyses, establishing nursing diagnoses, implementing care plans, and assessing intervention and service outcomes.
- Work with clients, physicians, nurse practitioners and other members of the interdisciplinary team to initiate the development of a health care plan or contribute to it.
- Coordinate client services, as required.
Community Development and Health Promotion
- Actively participate in initiatives within the community.
- Participate in the annual planning of initiatives in the community.
- Demonstrate evidence-informed practice with individuals, families and communities.
- Participate in research activities, as appropriate.
- Develop and implement a training plan in order to stay current.
- Attend and actively participate in interdisciplinary and program meetings.
- Keep informed on educational resources in the community and share with colleagues and clients.
- One year of experience in a community setting, public health or health education and promotion.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Certificate of Practice issued by the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba.
Physical demands and working conditions
- Own or have access to a vehicle suitable for the performance of duties and available for use, as required.
- May be required to provide primary nursing care in a variety of clinical settings, including a primary care clinic, a temporary clinic in a community setting or at clients’ residences.
- Be able to flex working day/hours of work to accommodate activities that occur during evenings and/or weekends.
- Cardiopulmonary training for family and friends.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record check, Adult Abuse check and Child Abuse Registry check.
- Ability to work in a computerized environment.
- Oral and written fluency in both French and English.
- Ability to work effectively in French within an interdisciplinary team.
- Knowledge of health promotion as well as community development and program assessment principles.
- Knowledge of principles of adult education and interdisciplinary teamwork.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including proven skills as a group facilitator.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Licences and registrations
- Active registration with the College of Registered Nurses in Manitoba.
- A valid Manitoba driver’s licence and access to a reliable vehicle.
Hourly rate: $37.02 to $44.64 (MGEU)
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter by April 13, 2018, to:
Centre de santé Saint-Boniface
170 Goulet Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2H 0R7
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Bilingual/French requirement nursing position grant may be available to you: www.gov.mb.ca/health/nurses/bfrng.html