Mental Health Counsellor (Shared care)
(Primary Care/Community Health Agency)
Permanent full-time (1,0 EFT) position
A career at Centre de santé Saint-Boniface provides excellent professional development opportunities in a welcoming francophone environment that promotes self-reliance, creativity and innovation. Centre de santé offers primary health care services in both official languages to the French-speaking population of Winnipeg and to the residents of St. Boniface.
Working under the general supervision of Programs and Operations Manager and as part of an interdisciplinary team, the Mental Health Counsellor is responsible for providing professional services to Centre de santé and the community, counselling to individuals, couples, families, as well as group facilitation. The counsellor is also responsible for planning therapeutic interventions for people who use services, identifying community resources and referring clients as needed.
- Work with clients to develop and implement an action plan that requires client involvement, strengthens mental health skills and promotes self-reliance.
- Facilitate a range of therapeutic and psycho-educational groups, in consultation with the Psychiatrist, the Director of Medical Services, and the Programs and Operations Managers, as required.
- Refer clients to other appropriate health care providers or recommend that other relevant community agencies participate, as required.
- Provide consultation on mental health issues, including response in crisis situations, information and referrals, as well as continuous monitoring of services to meet long-term needs.
Community Education / Health Promotion
- Work with the target community to:
- Provide health information;
- Develop and collect educational materials;
- Plan and deliver relevant community-based health education events.
- Critically review relevant health-promotion and research literature, including evidence-informed practice with individuals, families and communities.
- Participate in community working groups and committees involved in developing and delivering health and social services in the community.
- Liaise with external resources as required to ensure continuity of care.
- Prepare statistics on the activities of the psychosocial team.
- Offer professional development, as required, by providing on-going consultation services and developing or distributing appropriate education materials to the interdisciplinary team.
- Three to five years of experience in providing mental health services in a clinic or providing counselling in community settings.
- Master’s degree in social work from a recognized university or Clinical Master’s counselling degree (preferred)
- Candidates who have a Baccalaureate Degree in a relevant field, along with extensive clinical counselling experience, will be considered.
- Training in cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is highly desirable.
- Be able to deal with aggressive or agitated clients or visitors.
- Be able to work a variable schedule in order to participate in meetings and activities outside normal working hours.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both French and English.
- Ability to work effectively in French within an interdisciplinary team.
- Extensive knowledge of current counselling, assessment, and therapeutic intervention techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of current treatment models used with individuals, couples, families and group.
- Knowledge of the principles of adult education and interdisciplinary teamwork, and ability to use group process techniques.
- Knowledge of the WRHA’s shared mental health care model (asset).
- Member of the Manitoba College of Social Workers, or mandatory membership in the relevant professional body, as required.
This position is subject to a Criminal Record check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), an Adult Abuse Registry check and a Child Abuse Registry check.
$33,05 – $45,76/ hour (MGEU)
To apply, please send your résumé and cover letter before before July 24, 2018, to:
Centre de santé Saint-Boniface
170 Goulet Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba R2H 0R7
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.